Monday, July 30, 2012

Day 4 - Webster City to Marshalltown


Today was my first day to ride all day!!! Brent gave me a pep-talk before leaving this morning and told me to only think about crossing the finish line and that anything distracting me from that goal did not matter. So I pushed myself all day reminding myself about the finish line.
At the carousel in Story City

Pork tenderloin sandwiches!!!
The first half of the day went well; the mornings always fly by. We stopped in the meeting town, Story City, for lunch.To the right, you can see that Elizabeth and I selected pork tenderloin sandwiches for lunch. It was good when it went down, but it was not so good when the heat of day set in. It definitely helped slow me down in the afternoon. Elizabeth and Emily got ahead of me when I decided to take short little break in someone's shady front yard. I also was thankful for a cold shower on the side of the road to help break the heat.
I finally caught up with Elizabeth and Emily


A penny-farthing bike
Also, during the day's ride we had the chance to see a penny-farthing bike. I cannot imagine riding a bike with no breaks and no gears on the hills of Iowa. Apparently this bike's owner stretches out like super man when coasting down hills (wish i could have seen him in action)!

The route was supposed to be 77.1 miles but we were a little closer to 80 due to a little detour Elizabeth took us on (and it was uphill). We were very excited to make it to Marshalltown. Primarily because we were staying with Elizabeth's brother, but also because there was a Mexican feast waiting on us. Her brother catered fajitas and all the fixin's for our dinner. Shortly after dinner a few members of the team took a ride downtown only to return 15-20 minutes later due to a down pour. Some strong storms moved through during the night, but we were excited because behind the storm was cooler weather!!

We made it to Marshalltown!!

No comments:

Post a Comment