Sunday, July 15, 2012

Don't Do the Gu!

There's not many foods I won't eat and don't enjoy, unfortunately GU Energy is on the top of that list. I don't even know that this falls into the food category, so I'll just say there's not many things I won't taste more than once. I'm not sure you could pay me to eat, more like slurp, this gloppy gunk. I'm so thankful that RAGBRAI will have food every 10 miles because on our training rides the only solid food that is available is roadkill. Side note: Allison and I like to count how many dead animals we bike by, and then try to figure out what type of animal it was and how they died. It's a pretty difficult and grotesque game. Ok, back to the gel. Since our rides are out in the country we have a limited source of energy and carbs. Early on in our training we started eating Clif Shot Bloks and never really tried anything else. And I wish I never entertained the idea of actually trying something else. Don't ever, EVER, eat the Gu; it doesn't mix well with heat and lack of water. And if this makes you want to try it, go ahead..I warned you. Stick to Shot Bloks, they taste like delicious gummy bears. This afternoon I went to buy some packs of Shot Blocks for RAGBRAI and found myself opening a pack on the way home. Oops. They are so good you'll want to eat them like candy. The Jelly Belly Sports Beans are delicious, also. Ohh! Let's not forget the Honey Stinger Vanilla Wafer. I had that before a ride and wanted to put some ice cream on top of it and eat it for dessert. Allison, I'm getting some wafers for RAGBRAI..we can eat them with our pie and ice cream.


Allison squeezing out the Gu



No comments:

Post a Comment